- A reference from a verifiable source in the first instance, either verbally or written
- The referee must be in a position of authority to provide the reference
- If we are unable to verify the referee or obtain a reference for any reason – six months most recent bank statements as well as six months most recent payslips
- If the Applicant has not yet started the employment we can accept a copy of the contract or offer letter as well as confirmation from the employer that the employment has been accepted
- Employment offers are subject to checks and if the employment ends before the end of the initial period of the proposed tenancy or does not start within one month of the commencement date of the proposed tenancy they will not be accepted
Self Employed (Self Assessed)
- Last 6 months personal bank statements. Business bank statements will not be accepted. We will be assessing the individual’s income not the businesses.
- Most recent financial year’s SA302 (Tax Calculation)
Self Employed (Accountant)
- A reference from a verifiable source in the first instance, either verbally or written from an accountant
- If we are unable to verify the referee or obtain a reference for any reason, the documents stated for a self assessed Self Employed (Self Assessed) Applicant defined above
Student Finance / Bursaries
- Most recent award letter for the current or upcoming academic year, depending on the time of application. We will need to see the entitlement for the duration of the initial period of the proposed tenancy.
Savings / Investments
- A personal bank statement dated within the last seven days showing the amount currently held in savings
- Investments will be taken on a case by case basis and we cannot guarantee that they will be accepted. This will depend on the terms of the investment and what is readily available to the Applicant.
- If the Applicants only source of income is from savings, the amount of savings must be at least 2.5 X the total rent for the initial period of the proposed tenancy and must be demonstrated to be in a bank account on a statement dated in the last 7 days.
Pensions / Benefits
One of the following:
- An award letter stating the Applicant’s entitlement
- Most recent P60 (End of Year Certificate) if the pension has been claimed for the whole of the previous year
- 6 months personal bank statements or payslips
- For ‘Tax Credits’ an award letter must be provided. Bank statements cannot be used for Tax Credits
- ‘Universal Credits’ will require the last 6 months’ Universal Credit Payslips
Income Sources that are NOT accepted
- Zero hour, or temporary rolling contracts that have been running for less than 6 months
- Income from a spouse or parents
- Loans or overdrafts (other than student finance)
- International self-employment (Applicant only)
- Income that has been confirmed to end before the tenancy end of the initial period of the proposed tenancy
Documents that are NOT accepted
- References from family members
- Business bank statements, remittance advice slips or invoices
- Non-official documents (e.g. banks statements that have been downloaded into Excel or business accounts completed by the Applicant)
All documents must be dated and clearly show the name of the individual being referenced.
Still not answered your question? We love questions so fire it at us using the contact details here
Please rate this article so we know how well it answered your question…